Water Efficiency Technical Assistance Program
The Budget Act of 2021 appropriated $15 million to CDFA for irrigation water efficiency and nutrient management technical assistance grants. The Water Efficiency Technical Assistance (WETA) grant program is designed to facilitate technical assistance to agricultural operations for on-farm water and energy use efficiency and nutrient management.
Organizations that receive funding will work on any or all of three program objectives:
- Provide on-farm, one-on-one technical assistance to farmers to evaluate irrigation system efficiency (e.g., mobile irrigation lab) and provide diagnostics, reports and recommendations to growers.
- Coordinate or provide pump efficiency testing for farmers.
- Provide training regarding water use efficiency and nutrient management practices and technology.
The CDFA is accepting public comment on the Water Efficiency Technical Assistance Program (WETA) 2022 Request for Grant Applications (RGA). CDFA is seeking feedback on the draft RGA, particularly, regarding technical assistance in the WETA program with the following questions:
- What types of water use efficiency technical assistance would be of benefit in different regions of California?
- What additional support could technical assistance provide and how can current support be enhanced in various areas throughout the state?
- What role can technical assistance providers play in supporting groundwater recharge opportunities or increasing farmer knowledge of recharge?
Public comment will be accepted until 5PM, February 20, 2023.
Please submit comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
Timeline of WETA Solicitation for 2022:
|Application period begins||Spring 2023|
|Applications due||Spring 2023|
|Review of applications received||Spring 2023|
|Announcement of awards||Summer 2023|
|Execution of grant agreements for awarded projects||Summer 2023|
|Grant term begins||Fall 2023|
|Awarded Water Efficiency Technical Assistance Project Implementation||End of 2023-first half of 2026|
*Subject to change.
The Water Efficiency Technical Assistance Program (WETA) is currently not accepting applications