BIPOC Producer Advisory Committee
The California Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC) Producer Advisory Committee shall advise the Secretary on matters pertaining to the implementation of the Farmer Equity Act, and recommendations contained within the Farmer Equity Report, including but not limited to all efforts to ensure socially disadvantaged producers and ranchers are better served through CDFA’s programs, policies, and communications.
New! BIPOC Producer Advisory Committee Members
- Donald Sherman- Former Ad-hoc member, Central Valley
- Dennis Hutson- Former Ad-hoc member, Central Valley, Hollister
- Javier Cruz- Former Ad-hoc member, Central Coast
- Emily Burgueno- Tribal Member, Ag Producer, San Diego County
- Arshdeep Singh- Punjabi American Growers Association, Central Valley
- Kenneth Sparks II- Urban agriculture producer, Los Angeles
- Hung Kim Doan- UC Small Farm Advisor, Riverside County
- Tania Zuniga Moreno- Kitchen Table Advisors, Central Coast
- Qi Zhou- California Association of Resource Conservation Districts- Equity Lead, Sacramento Valley
- Minkah Taharkah- California Farmer Justice Collaborative, Central Valley
- Natalie Solares- Intertribal Ag Council West Coast Technical Assistance Lead, Southern California
- Mireya Gomez Contreras- Esperanza Community Farms, Central Coast
- The BIPOC Producer Advisory Committee shall be comprised of 12 members.
- All members will be self-identified BIPOC individuals
- At least 1 of the 10 members will be a member of a Federally or CA State Recognized Tribe or at least one member will be a representative of a Tribal organization
- 2 members of a non-profit organization representing or serving primarily BIPOC producers in California
- 2 members of a university or community college focused on research related to small-scale BIPOC producers
- 1 member of an organization providing technical assistance to small-scale and BIPOC producers
- 6 of the committee members will be BIPOC producers. Prior members of the ad-hoc advisory committee and/or affiliation with AB 1348 the Farmer Equity Act / CA Producer Justice Collaborative Governance Committee will be given priority consideration, but all are encouraged to apply.
Responsibilities and Terms
The BIPOC Producer Advisory Committee shall meet on a quarterly basis, four times per calendar year. The meetings will be held in January, April, August and October.
Members should plan to attend each of the quarterly meetings (January, April, August, October). At least one of the quarterly meetings will be a joint meeting with the Small-Scale Producer Advisory Committee and/or the CDFA State board.
Appointments are for four-year terms
Length of Term: 4 years
Meeting Frequency: Quarterly (Virtual Meeting)
Meeting Structure/ Bagley Keene Considerations
Meetings will be public in accordance with the Bagley Keene Act for Open Meetings.
Meetings will be held virtually in order to accommodate the needs and schedules of producers, especially during the summer months.
Agenda and meeting materials will be posted 10 days before the date of the meeting, in English and Spanish. Meeting notes will be posted within 7 days after the meeting, also in English and Spanish.
Translation of written materials will be provided to accommodate for members who do not speak English. This will ensure that committee members can participate fully. CDFA will work individually with committee members to understand and accommodate language needs.
Applications to the BIPOC Producer Advisory Committee are currently CLOSED.
For future open positions to the BIPOC Producer Advisory Committee and all other CDFA's Boards and Commissions, please subscribe to receive press releases and notifications from CDFA's Public Affairs Office.
Board Contact: Thea Rittenhouse