- Guidelines Home
- Nitrogen Removal Report
Broccoli Nitrogen Uptake and Partitioning
Seasonal N Uptake
The N uptake curve is based on a study on grower fields in Monterey County where direct-seeded summer (blue line) and winter (red line) broccoli were fertilized with 182 lbs N/acre and 272 lbs N/acre, respectively . Broccoli N uptake was determined by harvesting the aboveground biomass. Other research has shown that the N application rate has a considerable effect on plant N accumulation .
In winter-grown broccoli, roughly 40% of the total aboveground N is removed with the harvested parts (inflorescence and top of the stem). For summer crops, which have a larger biomass, only about 30% is removed .
Nitrogen Removed at Harvest
|Location||Years||Removal (lbs N/ton fresh weight)||Source|
|Salinas, CA||2012-13||9.0||7.73 - 11.64|||
|Arizona||2000||11.3||11.01 - 11.91|||
|Canada||2001-02||12.5||11.58 - 14.5||[1, 2]|
|Canada||1990-91||12.4||7.48 - 19.01|||
|Weighted Average||11.2||7.48 - 19.01|
- Bakker, C.J., Swanton, C.J., McKeown, A.W., 2009a. Broccoli growth in response to increasing rates of pre-plant nitrogen. I Yield and quality. Canadian Journal of Plant Science 89, 527-537.
- Bakker, C.J., Swanton, C.J., McKeown, A.W., 2009b. Broccoli growth in response to increasing rates of pre-plant nitrogen. II. Dry matter and nitrogen accumulation. Canadian Journal of Plant Science 89, 539-548.
- Geisseler, D., 2016. Nitrogen concentrations in harvested plant parts - A literature overview. Report to the Kings River Watershed Coalition.
- Howard, F.D., MacGillivray, J.H., Yamaguchi, M., 1962. Nutrient composition of fresh California-grown vegetables. California Agricultural Experiment Station, Bulletin No. 788, California Department of Agriculture.
- Rincon L., Saez J., Perez Crespo J.A., Gomez Lopez M.D., Pellicer C., 1999. Crecimiento y absorcion de nutrientes del brocoli. Investigación Agraria. Producción y Protección Vegetales 14, 225-236.
- Smith, R., Cahn, M., Hartz, T.K., 2013. Survey of nitrogen uptake and applied irrigation water in broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage production in the Salinas Valley..CDFA-FREP Conference Proceedings 2013, 117-119. Complemented withunpublished data.
- Smith, R., Cahn, M., Hartz, T.K., 2015. Survey of nitrogen uptake and applied irrigation water in broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage production in the Salinas Valley. FREP Final Report.
- Thompson, T.L. White, S.A., Walworth, J., Sower, G.J., 2003. Fertigation frequency of subsurface drip-irrigated broccoli. Soil Science Society of America Journal 67, 910–918.
- Zebarth, B.J., Bowen, P.A., Toivonen, P.M.A., 1995. Influence of nitrogen fertilization on broccoli yield, nitrogen accumulation and apparent fertilizer-nitrogen recovery. Canadian Journal of Plant Science 75, 717-725.