- Guidelines Home
- Nitrogen Removal Report
Potato Nitrogen Uptake and Partitioning
Seasonal N Uptake
Nitrogen uptake curve of Russett Burbank potatoes grown in Paterson, WA. The tuber yield was 563 cwt/acre .
Estimated N in vines and tubers at vine kill. Data from a trial with Classic Russett and Russett Norkotah in Tulelake. The average total yield was 506 cwt/acre . Nitrogen partitioning to potato vines and tubers depends on fertilization. In a well-fertilized crop about 20-30% of the total N is found in the vine. Under excessive fertilizer over half of the total N may be in the vine, and under deficient fertilization it can be as low as 10% [4,7].
Nitrogen Removed at Harvest
|Location||Years||Removal (lbs N/ton fresh weight)||Source|
|Tulelake, CA||2012||8.02||6.83 - 9.22|||
|Washington||1980-81||5.81||4.18 - 8.33|||
|Minnesota||1994-95||5.94||4.08 - 6.91|||
|Wisconsin||2000-02||6.37||5.19 - 8.14|||
|Various||6.16||4.61 - 7.1|||
|Weighted Average||6.24||4.08 - 9.22|
- Curless, M.A., Kelling, K.A., Speth, P.E., 2004. Nitrogen and phosphorus availability from liquid dairy manure to potatoes. American Journal of Potato Research 82, 287-297.
- Geisseler, D., 2016. Nitrogen concentrations in harvested plant parts -A literature overview. Report to the Kings River Watershed Coalition.
- Howard, F.D., MacGillivray, J.H., Yamaguchi, M., 1962. Nutrient composition of fresh California-grown vegetables. California Agricultural Experiment Station, Bulletin No. 788, California Department of Agriculture.
- Lauer, D.A., 1985. Nitrogen uptake patterns of potatoes with high-frequency sprinkler-applied N fertilizer. Agronomy Journal 77, 193-197.
- United States Department of Agriculture Food Composition Database.
- United States Department of Agriculture Natural Resources Conservation Service. Crop Nutrient Tool.
- Waddell, J. T., Gupta, S.C., Moncrief, J.F., Rosen, C.J., Steele, D.D., 1999. Irrigation and nitrogen management effects on potato yield, tuber quality, and nitrogen uptake. Agronomy Journal 91, 991–997.
- Wilson, R., Kirby, D., Culp, D., Nicholson K., 2012. Classic Russet and Russet Norkotah potato yield and quality response to nitrogen fertilization. Intermountain Research & Extension Center Research Report 151.