- Guidelines Home
- Nitrogen Removal Report
Sunflower Nitrogen Uptake and Partitioning
Seasonal N Uptake
Nitrogen uptake in irrigated sunflower in Australia. Yield in this study was about 1800 lbs/acre. The crop took up very little N prior to the 8-leaf stage, after which uptake increased steadily until flowering. After flowering N was redistributed from the vegetative parts to the developing seeds, and further N uptake was negligible .
Nitrogen partitioning in dryland sunflower grown in South Dakota. The average yield in this study was about 1950 lbs/acre. The N harvest index depends on N availability. Under higher N fertility conditions, a higher proportion of the total N is found in the biomass and relatively less is in the seed .
Nitrogen Removed at Harvest
Nitrogen removed with harvested sunflower seeds. "Seeds" refers to the achenes (kernel+hull). The overall average is weighted for the number of observations in each trial. More information can be found here .
|Location||Years||Removal (lbs N/ton @ 8% moisture)||Source|
|North Dakota||1985-86||56.1||53.4 - 60.7|||
|South Dakota||1980-81||51.7||35.9 - 60.4|||
|Texas||1975-76||60.5||44.2 - 69.9|||
|Australia||1981-82||50.7||32.8 - 67.9|||
|South Africa||1975-77||45.2||33 - 53.9|||
|France||2011-12||46.2||42.1 - 50.3|||
|Argentina||1996||61.9||57.1 - 69.5|||
|Turkey||1998-99||56.7||54.7 - 59.9|||
|Iran||1996-97||55.6||46.7 - 65.3|||
|Various||56.3||55.1 - 57.6|||
|Weighted Average||54.1||32.8 - 69.9|
- Andrianasolo, F.N., Champolivier, L., Debaeke, P., Maury, P., 2016. Source and sink indicators for determining nitrogen, plant density and genotype effects on oil and protein contents in sunflower achenes. Field Crops Research 192, 33-41.
- Blamey, F.P.C., Chapman, J., 1981. Protein, oil, and energy yields of sunflower as affected by N and P fertilization. Agronomy Journal 73, 584-587.
- Deibert, E.J., Utter, R.A., 1989. Sunflower growth and nutrient uptake: Response to tillage system, hybrid maturity and weed control method. Soil Science Society of America Journal 53, 133-138.
- Geisseler, D., 2016. Nitrogen concentrations in harvested plant parts -A literature overview. Report to the Kings River Watershed Coalition.
- Gholamhoseini, M., Ghalavand, A., Dolatabadian, A., Jamshidi, E., Khodaei-Joghan, A., 2013. Effects of arbuscular mycorrhizal inoculation on growth, yield, nutrient uptake and irrigation water productivity of sunflowers grown under drought stress. Agricultural Water Management 117, 106-114.
- Mathers, A.C., Stewart, B.A., 1982. Sunflower nutrient uptake, growth, and yield as affected by nitrogen or manure, and plant population. Agronomy Journal 74, 911-915.
- Narem, R.A., 1982. Nitrogen fertility requirements, dry matter production and nutrient uptake of the sunflower. MS thesis, South Dakota State University.
- Özer, H., Polat, T., Öztürk, E., 2004. Response of irrigated sunflower (Helianthus annuus L.) hybrids to nitrogen fertilization: Growth, yield and yield components. Plant, Soil & Environment 50, 205-211.
- Robinson, R.G., 1973. Elemental composition and response to nitrogen of sunflower and corn. Agronomy Journal 65, 318-320.
- Scheiner, J.D., Gutiérrez-Boem, F.H., Lavado, R.S., 2002. Sunflower nitrogen requirement and 15N fertilizer recovery in Western Pampas, Argentina. European Journal of Agronomy 17, 73-79.
- Steer, B.T., Coaldrake, P.D., Pearson, C.J., Canty, C.P., 1986. Effects of nitrogen supply and population density on plant development and yield components of irrigated sunflower (Helianthus annuus L.). Field Crops Research 13, 99-115.
- United States Department of Agriculture Natural Resources Conservation Service. Crop Nutrient Tool.