- Guidelines Home
- Nitrogen Removal Report
Carrot Nitrogen Uptake and Partitioning
Seasonal N Uptake
Aboveground seasonal N uptake from a 150-day carrot crop grown in Ontario, Canada. Yields were about 20 tons/acre. For transplanted carrot, uptake is slow for about 40 days after transplanting. Uptake increases steadily while the tops are rapidly growing, but may slow and then plateau as the top growth slows .
Nitrogen distribution in carrot plants. Values are averages from trials in Ontario, Quebec and Michigan [1,6,11]. Partitioning can vary greatly depending on variety, fertilization and harvest time.
Nitrogen Removed at Harvest
|Location||Years||Removal (lbs N/ton fresh weight)||Source|
|Michigan||2001||2.89||2.09 - 3.51|||
|Florida||1994-95||4.06||2.42 - 7.35|||
|Ontario, Canada||2002||4.11||1.71 - 6.95||[10, 11]|
|Quebec, Canada||3.43||2.91 - 4.76|||
|Poland||2003-2005||2.94||2.68 - 3.1||[7, 8]|
|China||1999||5.64||4.68 - 6.32|||
|Various||2.98||2.18 - 3.81|||
|Weighted Average||3.29||1.71 - 7.35|
- Caron, J., Rancourt, G.T., Bélec, C., Tremblay, N., Parent, L.-é., 2014. Nitrogen budget for fertilized carrot cropping systems in Quebec organic soil. Canadian Journal of Soil Science 94, 139-148.
- Chen, Q., Li, X., Horlacher, D., Liebig, H.-P., 2006. Effects of different nitrogen rates on open-field vegetable growth and nitrogen utilization in the North China Plain. Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis 35, 1725-1740.
- Geisseler, D., 2016. Nitrogen concentrations in harvested plant parts - A literature overview. Report to the Kings River Watershed Coalition.
- Hochmuth, G.J., Brecht, J.K., Bassett, M.J., 1999. Nitrogen fertilization to maximize carrot yield and quality on a sandy soil. HortScience 34, 641-645.
- Howard, F.D., MacGillivray, J.H., Yamaguchi, M., 1962. Nutrient composition of fresh California-grown vegetables. California Agricultural Experiment Station, Bulletin No. 788, California Department of Agriculture.
- Makries, J.L., Warncke, D.D., 2013. Timing nitrogen applications for quality tops and healthy root production in carrot. Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis 44, 2860-2874.
- Smolen, S., Sady, W., 2008. Effect of various nitrogen fertilisation and foliar nutrition regimes on carrot (Daucus carota L.) yield. Journal of Horticultural Science & Biotechnology 83, 427-434.
- Smolen, S., Sady, W., 2009. The effect of various nitrogen fertilization and foliar nutrition regimes on the concentrations of nitrates, ammonium, dry matter and N-total in carrot (Daucus carota L.) roots. Scientia Horticulturae 119, 219-231.
- United States Department of Agriculture Food Composition Database.
- Westerveld, S.M., McDonald, M.R., McKeown, A.W., 2006a. Carrot yield, quality, and storability in relation to preplant and residual nitrogen on mineral and organic soils. HortTechnology 16, 286-293.
- Westerveld, S.M., McKeown, A.W., McDonald, M.R., 2006b. Seasonal nitrogen partitioning and nitrogen uptake of carrots as affected by nitrogen application a mineral and an organic soil. HortScience 41, 1332-1338.